Facilities Technician Apprentice
Text Casella to 97211
Founded in 1975, Casella Waste Systems, Inc. is a publicly traded company (CWST) and one of the nation's leading providers of waste and recycling services. Casella currently employs more than 2,500 employees throughout Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, and Pennsylvania and serves customers in more than 40 states. We are especially proud of our support and dedication to the success of our local communities throughout the northeast region and beyond.
Part of the Critical Infrastructure Industry, Casella protects the health and safety of our society and prevents any debilitating impact on the communities we serve. We are constantly developing and investing in innovative solutions to build a better tomorrow for future generations.
In every way, our most important resource is our people. Our deep understanding of resource renewal also guides us in cultivating a culture of lifelong learning and career growth and flows naturally from our deepest core values and our unwavering dedication to safety and wellness.
We believe the work we do is vitally important and meaningful and that our employees are the stewards of our region’s breathtaking natural beauty. We seek to hire the most talented and dedicated people to grow our business and serve our customers.
Summary of Position
While working alongside a knowledgeable Casella Facilities Technician, the apprentice will be responsible for providing maintenance and repair equipment. This position mainly focuses on preventative maintenance and maintaining the safety of all equipment. The apprentice will continue in this role in until they complete all training requirements.
- Learns how to read and interpret equipment manuals to perform required maintenance and service.
- Learns how to prevent plant breakdowns by performing planned preventive maintenance on conveying systems, power transmissions and other power-driven rotating equipment. All repairs and preventive maintenance to be performed in conformance with established company and federal standards.
- Communicates equipment issues resolution to operators.
- Works in confined spaces that are often “dirty”.
- Assists with repairs or coordinating repairs of warn defective machinery or equipment. Operates machines through trial run to ensure that quality and rate of production meets specifications
- Performs extensive housekeeping duties and uses a variety of small tools, hand-powered tools, and knives while complying with safety regulations.
- Maintains necessary log for daily equipment inspections to ensure that the risk of downtime is kept to a minimum.
- Becomes lock out tag out and fall protection qualified and operate a manlift.
- Assists in establishing and adjusting work procedures to meet production schedules and advises Plant Maintenance Manager if additional work is needed, or cannot be completed within the standard repair times.
- Cleans, inspects, and/or performs routine maintenance or minor repairs on recycling equipment, such as disks and belts to ensure proper functionality of MRF equipment.
- Participates in training and other learning opportunities to expand knowledge of the company, products and services offered, and position held within the organization.
- Adheres to all company policies, procedures, and core values.
- Performs any other duties needed to help drive our vision, fulfill our mission, and/or abide by our core values.
Education, Experience & Qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age and legally eligible to work in the United States
- Ability to read and write well
- Ability to work overtime when needed
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple repairs
- Ability to lift 50 pounds on a frequent basis
Positive, team-oriented individual who has a strong work ethic, is committed to safety, customer driven, open to personal and professional training and development, and results-oriented with the ability to see the larger picture while focusing on detailed information.
We offer excellent benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, and a 401(k) Plan.
Casella Waste Systems, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an environment of inclusion and mutual respect where opportunities are available to all applicants and team members without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, military and veteran status, status as individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal or state laws. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our team members is critical to our success as a company and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people.